This Salmon and Poached Egg Brown Rice Bowl is a great simple recipe that can be altered slightly by adding in vegetables of choice. This recipe is outlined for two full servings and is a great option for meal prep at the beginning of the week, or whip up quick on a moments notice. The combination of ingredients provides amazing nutritional benefits, as well as tastes amazing!
Prep: 15 mins Cook: 30 mins Ready in: 45 mins
-1 cup brown (or white) sushi rice
-1.5 pounds of fresh salmon filet
-1-2 eggs per person
-1 avocado, sliced
-2 teaspoons sesame oil
-3 tablespoons soy sauce
-drop of agave nectar
-pinch of salt to taste
-pinch of pepper to taste
-1 teaspoon black sesame seeds (or to taste)
1. Preheat oven to 425º
2. Cook the rice in a rice cooker if available, or on the stove as directed on the package.
3. Fill a small pot with about 3 cups of water and bring to a boil.
4. Prepare the salmon filet by placing it on a foil-covered tray, skin side down. Drizzle about 1 tbsp of the sesame oil over the filet, and coat with desired salt and pepper.
5. Place salmon in the preheated oven for about 9-12 minutes (depending on the thickness of the filet). The salmon should be flaky and cooked through.
6. Once the water begins to boil, crack the eggs without stirring into the pot. Cook for about 7 minutes. The eggs should have a solid outside with a runny yoke inside. This style is considered “poached”.
7. While the salmon and eggs cook, combine the sesame oil, soy sauce, and agave and thoroughly whisk together for your sauce. Set aside until ready to serve.
8. In two deep individual bowls, layer half of the prepared ingredients into each bowl. Begin with the rice, then add the salmon, cut eggs in half (to allow the runny yoke to spill over the dish), and top with the sliced avocado. Drizzle the prepared sauce over each bowl, and sprinkle the desired sesame seeds. Serve immediately & enjoy!